Skincare Tips and Tricks for the Summer
Summer has entered at full for us here in the North-East. With temperatures soaring and the sun blazing, it’s more important that ever to establish a protective skincare routine. Not sure where to start? Continue reading to learn about the benefits of tending to your skin. Plus, tips and tricks to live by this summer.
The Skin in Skincare
Before we can look at how it’s cared for, we first must see why our skin is so important.
Our skin is the heaviest and largest organ in our bodies. Not only does it act as a barrier against the harmful outside world, it also:
- Regulates body temperature (which in the summer prevents dehydration).
- Warns the brain of pain, pressure, or itching. It even triggers sensations, like automatically pulling your hand back from a hot stove.
- Stores water, fat, and metabolic products. As well as produce hormones.
- Increases the blood supply to wounded areas. Thus, supply the injured part with substances that protect from infections and help it heal faster.
The skin consists of three layers:
- Epidermis — The Outer Layer. This is the skin we can see. It contains cells like melanocytes that store a pigment called melanin. More of this pigment is stored when the skin is exposed to sunlight in order to protect it from UV rays. This is why we tan in the summer.
- Dermis — The Middle Layer. Made of a dense network or elastic fibres, this layer makes the skin strong, robust, but also stretchy. The dermis contains the most feeling cells and sweat glands.
- Subcutis – The Deepest Layer. Made of fat and connective tissue, the substances act as shock absorbers. Thus protecting bones and joints from blows or bumps. What’s more, it acts as insulation too!
What is Skincare?
Skincare is the practise of applying products that support skin integrity, enhance its appearance, and relive skin conditions (e.g. acne). It is a bi-daily routine that prepares the skin for the day and repairs in at night.
There are three basic steps to skincare:
- Cleansing. The is a face wash that removes excess oils and washes off makeup/the dirt of the day.
- Moisturising. This provides the skin with proper hydration. If not, you may experience dryness, flakiness, and sensitivity.
- Protecting. Applying at least SPF 30 sunscreen everyday is essential. Especially in protecting the skin against cancer.
Additional products like serums and toners can be used before moisturising.
A skincare routine should be treated like brushing your teeth, but why is it so important?
- It helps your skin stay in good condition. An effective routine helps prevent acne and keeps the skin youthful;.
- Prevention is easier than correction.
- It boosts self-confidence. When your skin looks better, you feel better about yourself.
- Having a routine is beneficial for mental health. Taking the time for you is always important.
Tips and Tricks for the Summer
In the heat, our skin produces excess oils. This gets stuck on surface leading to stickiness, grease, and blocked pores. What’s more, the UV rays from the sun can lead to itchy skin, prickly heat, sunburn, and rashes.
Even if you don’t already have a skincare routine, we have some handy tips and tricks to protect your skin. Check them out!
- Wash your face to remove excess oils. If you have naturally dry or oily skin, be sure to use a product which is suited to your type.
- Keep your skin hydrated. Moisturiser is your friend as well as a gentle face mist.
- Wear sunscreen. If you have pale skin, opt for SPF 50 or higher. Remember, sunscreen should be applied every 2 hours. Plus, it takes about 10-20 minutes for it to fully soak in.
- Don’t forget your eyes, lips, & feet — they can also get damaged! Wear sunglasses for protection and invest in a lip balm with SPF.
- Remember to drink water! It helps you to stay hydrated — plus, it flushes the toxins from your body!