Dessert Ideas for Warm Sunny Days
Do you enjoy baking desserts? Do you want to satisfy your sweet tooth but struggle with heat of the oven and a warm sunny day? Look no further! In today’s blog, we share the best recipes to make on a warm day and ways to keep cool in the kitchen.
Tips for Making Desserts on a Warm Day
Make the most of summer seasonal ingredients with these tips for controlling the heat!
- Use your oven in the morning of evening. Those are the cooler times of the day.
- Select desserts that have short baking times. Or even ones that require no baking at all!
- Avoid lack-lustre cookies and pie crusts by putting their dough in the fridge.
- Remember to refrigerate frosted desserts. Icing and heat don’t mix well. So, if you want your cupcakes to maintain their perky swirls — put them in the fridge!
- Consider trying recipes that require little baking. But, make sure you have enough room in your freezer and refrigerator to store their ingredients!
- Be vigilant about butter that is too soft or other ingredients that don’t react well to the heat.
- Keep in mind that yeast will rise much faster in the heat. Hot kitchens reduce proofing time to about 20 minutes!
Ideas for Sweet Treats
Chomping at the bit to get baking? Check out these summer-proof recipes!
Key Lime Pie
An American classic, key lime pie’s filling requires only four ingredients. Create the base with graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, and melted butter. Add zested limes and lime juice to condensed milk and yogurt to create the filling. Bake for about 15 minutes and then let the pie cool in the refrigerator for 3 hours. Top and serve with whipped heavy cream, lime slices, and zest.
Meaning “semi-frozen” in Italian, this dessert is like a cold creamy custard. Set in a long pan, semifreddo is made with whipping cream, sugar, water, eggs, and whatever other flavours you’d like to add! While it is like ice cream, remember that semifreddo can melt more easily. Therefore it needs at least 6 hours in the freezer before it’s served.
Making the most of the strawberry season, try your hand at this light and tart cake. Try a version with home made sweet biscuits. Mix cold butter, milk, flour, sugar, and baking powder with a touch of salt. Mould into biscuit shapes and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes. Next, whip up some cream and add vanilla extra for sweetness. Once the biscuits are baked and cooled, cut them in half and layer with the whipped cream and chopped strawberries. Store in the fridge so it doesn’t melt!
Ice Cream Sandwiches
Hankering for something quick and easy? This dessert is for you! In terms of ingredients, you can make the cookies and ice cream yourself or you can pick up your favourites at the store. To construct, simply place of scoop of ice cream between to cookies and press them together. Smooth any ice cream that tries to escape. Sprinkle the exposed ice cream with nuts, sprinkles or mini chocolate chips! Eat right away or wrap them up and store them in the freezer.
Another summer seasonal ingredient, watermelon is the perfect sweet treat. To make the idea, simply blend watermelon chunks, lime juice, and lime zest. Store in the freezer and then repeat the process until the ice has been frozen a total of 6 hours.